Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions

Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions Empty Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions

Post by Mike 14th November 2008, 10:20

Attendances at HiQ MSA British Touring Car Championship race events rose by 21 per cent to just over 325,000 in 2008, while the ITV network’s television coverage of the series was viewed by close to 12 million people across the UK.

The increase in crowd sizes comes after attendances in 2007 had also shot up by 20 per cent on those in 2006, with figures at BTCC events now similar to many major Premier League football matches. Nowhere better was the surge in popularity demonstrated than at Oulton Park in July when the BTCC attracted its biggest trackside audience – of 35,000 – to the Cheshire circuit this decade.

Meanwhile, figures show that 11,751,646 viewers tuned in to watch the BTCC race action on ITV. (This cumulative number represents those viewers weighted to the programme duration and watching for more than three minutes…i.e. not those who may be 'channel-skipping').

In total, ITV transmitted some 86 hours and seven minutes of BTCC coverage to households throughout Britain. Some 50 of those hours were live broadcasts on Sunday afternoons from each BTCC race day. Additional hour-long highlights on the ITV1, ITV4 and Men & Motors channels made for 52 programmes in total during the season.

BTCC Series Director Alan Gow commented: “The BTCC’s continual rise in popularity is something of which I am immensely proud – particularly given the increasing number of other options on which the public can choose to spend both its leisure time and its disposable income.

“The BTCC remains by far the largest championship in UK motor racing – in fact, one of the biggest in British sport generally – and it is a constant draw for millions right across the country, both trackside and watching on television. For many people, the BTCC really is ‘the great escape’...”

He added: “The 2008 season was undoubtedly a landmark. The championship’s illustrious history was enriched further by its 50th birthday celebrations and dynamic new title sponsor, HiQ, plus it enjoyed increased television coverage from ITV.

“In its first season, HiQ instantly grasped the essence of the BTCC and set about interacting with the fans via a number of great initiatives. With ITV, the BTCC enjoyed a simply staggering TV commitment that is unprecedented in UK motor racing and one which the championship will continue to enjoy through to 2011, at least.”

Source : http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1208
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions Empty Re: Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions

Post by Ross 14th November 2008, 11:16

That's good for the sport, although I hope it doesn't become too huge and like F1 - not accessible.
    Leks
    Leks

Number of posts : 96
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, Le Mans Series, GT

Male

Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions Empty Re: Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions

Post by Leks 15th November 2008, 17:07

Never liked BTCC. Just looks too slow and If you want saloons and tin tops its FIA GT1 and GT2 for me Smile
    Bee
    Bee

Number of posts : 44
    Favourite motorsport : Either Formula 1, NASCAR or BTCC

Male

Post by Bee 15th November 2008, 17:16

On track action still isn't anywhere near the late 1990's..
    Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

Post by Mike 15th November 2008, 17:18

Im hearing that.

With Seat going aswell looks bad for the sport.
    Bee
    Bee

Male

Post by Bee 15th November 2008, 17:19

Good that they are remaining available for Indies atleast, but yeah just the single manufacture is a sad sad moment. Although I'd expect BMW to come along soon, with Matt Jackson doing so well this season.
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Male

Post by Ross 15th November 2008, 18:03

Mat Jackson - Don't get me started. He is incredible, and I have so much respect for the man. I would've got his cap if that little shit didn't sneak behind the podium and ask him while he was on his way there. Grr.

MAT JACKSON FTW 2009 Champion
    Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

Post by Mike 15th November 2008, 18:08

Haha! He gave you the last autograph I was like MATT MATT SIGN THIS PLEASE QUICKLY.

Bee, next season if the forums still going im planning to go to the Rockingham and Silverstone events we could have a 'forum meet up' if enough people are interested.
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Male

Post by Ross 15th November 2008, 18:13

Oh yeah LMAO that was sooo good, I wanna tell the story xD

We were queueing for drivers' autographs and we went to Jackson's line. The pitlane was closing and everyone was leaving, I was behind Mike in the queue. Mike begged Mat and he signed him an autography, but when I got there next the miserable steward was telling Mat to stop signing them.

But me and my persistent ways, I literally begged him 'Please Mat please' so he really quickly signed it.

Best day EVER lmao
    Bee
    Bee

Male

Post by Bee 15th November 2008, 18:13

I'm game for Silverstone certainly, not so sure about Rockers.
    Leks
    Leks

Male

Post by Leks 15th November 2008, 18:16

I stood on the pitwall watching Damon Hill while they were queueing for autographs because I dont like BTCC and dont care about the drivers lol. They just dont impress me. Mat Jackson seems to be the man though.
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Male

Post by Ross 15th November 2008, 18:20

Bee wrote:I'm game for Silverstone certainly, not so sure about Rockers.

Only because Silverstone's down the road LOL

Alex where was Damon Hill :S
    You mean Josh Hill in Ginettas?
    Leks
    Leks

Male

Post by Leks 15th November 2008, 18:30

Damon hill drove an old touring car on the exhibition laps.
    Leks
    Leks

Male

Post by Leks 18th November 2008, 15:09

lololololol its back to white and black

I miss James Allen Sad
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Male

Post by Ross 18th November 2008, 15:15

Everytime you double post, a kitten dies.

Gow: BTCC 'great escape' for millions Cliche-Double_post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 6th May 2024, 15:37