Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jordan feels no pressure

Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Jordan feels no pressure Empty Jordan feels no pressure

Post by Mike 22nd November 2008, 15:25

Andrew Jordan says even though he’ll be armed with a title-winning Vauxhall Vectra VXR in 2009’s HiQ MSA British Touring Car Championship he’ll feel under no extra pressure to achieve his maiden race win in the series.

After an excellent debut season in an older BTC-spec Honda Integra, the 19-year-old from Lichfield tested with Vauxhall last week in order to acclimatise to the newer Super 2000-spec Vectra he’ll race next year as an Independent with his privateer team Eurotech.

And he believes it will be more important to enjoy his racing rather than over-drive in his quest for that elusive first victory.

The Pirtek-backed driver told btcc.net: “You see some people becoming overly desperate to win. It starts niggling away at them and they get disappointed. That’s why I won’t let it prey on my mind. It will happen when it happens and if it doesn’t then I’m sure there’ll be a good reason.

“In my big season of rallycross in 2007 I put a lot of pressure on myself to win and didn’t so it taught me a big lesson. It’ll be only my second year in the BTCC so I just want to enjoy the experience without trying to too hard and making a fool of myself.”

Jordan clearly learnt a lot in 2008’s BTCC as he settled into competing in Britain’s – and one of the world’s – most competitive motor racing championships and has come to understand the commitment required to achieve at such a high level.

He added: “It’s hugely competitive. Sometimes last year in qualifying I’d do a lap and think ‘that was a good one’ and then find it was still only good enough for 13th. That makes you realise just how much deeper you’ve got to dig. But the best way to learn is to be in an arena where it’s extremely hard to do well.

“Generally, I think I go better when there is pressure. Look at the reversed grids last year. There was pressure there when I started near the front and I excelled. Some people can crumble in that sort of situation but I find it exciting. It gives me that bit more oomph.”

The youngster knows the Vectra marks a golden opportunity for him to move up the order and challenge for the Independents’ title as well more outright podium results and was glowing in his report of the car after his test last week.

He said: “It’s little bits, everywhere. The biggest difference over the Integra was the grip levels. The Integra would hurt its front tyres massively, whereas we did a race run with the Vectra and there was only a minor deterioration in the grip from front to rear. I was very pleased with what I saw.

“The Triple Eight team which runs the Vauxhalls… what a great group of guys. They helped me get through a lot, set-up-wise. And the boss Ian Harrison – he’s just a straight-talking, no-nonsense bloke which is what I like.

“Above all, I know how lucky I am. I appreciate it massively but think I deserve it as I did a good job last year.”

BTCC.com

Current date/time is 13th May 2024, 19:46