Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso reckons new car is the best he has ever driven

Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso reckons new car is the best he has ever driven Empty Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso reckons new car is the best he has ever driven

Post by Ross 21st February 2010, 16:24

Alonso: New Ferrari is my best ever car

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso reckons new car is the best he has ever driven 56676_2

Fernando Alonso issued a stark warning to rivals on Saturday, by claiming Ferrari's F10 is the "best car I've ever had".

The 2005 and '06 world champion told Spanish media that the new car, designed to bring the team back to their winning ways, will be a championship contender in 2010.

Spaniard Alonso, who also reckons McLaren and Red Bull are likely to be his biggest rivals this year, said that Jenson Button was simply "showing his muscles" when the Brit topped the fortnight's timesheets as the eight-day winter test at Jerez concluded yesterday.

"There are no reasons to be pessimistic," Alonso said after the session. "As of today, this is the best car I've ever had. I think that someone showed his muscles on Saturday, while we didn't."

The Ferrari driver, who pairs up with Felipe Massa this season, also believes that the final pre-season test in Barcelona next week will shed some light more accurately as to who is where in terms of outright development.

"We'll see in Barcelona - when we'll show up with the latest updates - where we are compared to the others. We can say that we're on the right way."

McLaren's Jenson Button also added fuel to the fire this week by claiming that Ferrari were indeed ahead of the field. "I think the Ferrari is a very strong car," he said.

"If you look at their runs today, they're very consistent. I think they have better consistency than anyone at the moment."

Testing will resume at Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona on Thursday, the first real running for teams on a Grand Prix track. Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren have all confirmed they will bring some upgrades to the test, with all teams expected to run in Bahrain trim for the first time.

Image source: itv.com/f1

Current date/time is 28th April 2024, 15:17