Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010

Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010 Empty GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010

Post by Mike 22nd January 2010, 06:33

Petrov offers big money for F1 chance
    GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010 Petrov_07_asgp2media

Vitaly Petrov is reportedly offering to pay his way into Formula 1 this season, with five places now remaining on the 26-car grid. The Russian driver finished runner-up to the dominant Nico Hülkenberg in GP2 last year and believes that cash may be the key to the top of the motorsport ladder.

With his former German rival having sealed a place at Williams alongside Rubens Barrichello, Petrov is still keen to enter F1 as Renault and new teams Campos and US F1 are all still yet to complete their line-ups. The cast of Toro Rosso is also still questionable, with Jaime Alguersuari not yet confirmed alongside Sébastien Buemi.

According to Germany's Bild, Petrov is willing to fork out some €15m (£13.9m) for an F1 race seat. "Only six or seven top drivers earn real money," commented long-time driver Manager Willi Weber. "The others need to bring money and, when starting out, need to hold their career together - unless they are an exceptional talent."

GPupdate
    F1fanatic.com
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010 Empty Re: GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010

Post by Ross 22nd January 2010, 06:43

I'm sorry but someone clearly has far too much money.
    Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010 Empty Re: GP2 Runner-Up looks to buy his way onto the grid in 2010

Post by Mike 22nd January 2010, 06:46

I have to agree with Weber though. If he didn't have the money someone else would. Its a shame but we're back to the 90's. Expect to see some rich drivers, who get lapped within 7 laps.
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Male

Post by Ross 22nd January 2010, 07:02

Well I mean Petrov isn't exactly bad, but it is unfair on those who are just filled with raw talent.
    Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

Post by Mike 22nd January 2010, 07:05

Ross wrote:Well I mean Petrov isn't exactly bad, but it is unfair on those who are just filled with raw talent.

Name them.
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Male

Post by Ross 22nd January 2010, 07:09

Mike wrote:
    Ross wrote:Well I mean Petrov isn't exactly bad, but it is unfair on those who are just filled with raw talent.

Name them.

Well Taku for one, he'd easily have that Lotus drive if he had the backing. I think Christian Klien too. There are loads though that would definitely be picked over Petrov if they could offer the same amount of cash.
    Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

Post by Mike 22nd January 2010, 07:47

Taku has had backing (more than Petrov I might add) to get onto the grid. When he started out he had huge backing and took seats from arguably more deserving and more experienced drivers. He then grew a reputation which has stuck with him. I don't think he would have got the Lotus drive, money or not. You'd be stupid to choose him over Kova or Trulli.

Kliens and odd ball. I supported him when he came in and he has strong results as a kid but I don't think he's good enough for F1. Certainly no better than petrov
    Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Male

Post by Ross 22nd January 2010, 07:49

Mmm idk, I'd definitely pick Sato over Kovalainen, 100%. I think Klien needs alot of support within a team, which he'll never get at Renault so realistically USF1 would be the bestest option for him, presuming, of course, that Alguersuari keeps his Toro Rosso seat.
    Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Male

Post by Mike 22nd January 2010, 07:52

I think Kova is good. Taku has shown to be goood but I think hes a bit of a yesterday man. Just like Davidson they went to a team with fake sponsors as they couldn't get in higher up the chain. I like Davidson I think hes a very talented driver but at the age of 29, no real experience and no money. He's screwed.

Say what you like about driver programmes but a the end of the day the way forward would seem to be go it on your own and find your own money.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 14th May 2024, 20:43