Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reaction from motorsport personalities and websites to Michael Schumacher's comeback

Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Reaction from motorsport personalities and websites to Michael Schumacher's comeback Empty Reaction from motorsport personalities and websites to Michael Schumacher's comeback

Post by Ross 23rd December 2009, 05:59

More reaction to sensational Schumi return

Reaction from motorsport personalities and websites to Michael Schumacher's comeback Michael-schumacher_1527969c

Michael Schumacher has confirmed rumours that he will return to Formula 1 in 2010 with Mercedes GP after weeks of speculation.

Brawn: Schumacher can win

Ross Brawn believes Michael Schumacher is still capable of winning in Formula 1, after the seven time world champion gave his word that he can still do it.

Schumacher will turn 41 in January and has been out of Formula 1 since the end of the 2006 season, but is confident that he can return to the level he was at before his retirement.

"I asked Michael that question and he is the best judge of what he can do," Brawn said. "I trust him explicitly and he told me he can do it.

"He has always been his own best critic, the man himself knows what he is capable of. I am very comfortable and confident and put my trust in Michael, and it won't be misplaced."

Brawn denied that Jenson Button was pushed out of the team to make way for Schumacher, following the Briton's surprise switch to McLaren.

"I don't think that is the case," said Brawn. "We made a good effort to try to find a solution with Jenson and it didn't work out. Jenson made his decision in the end not to stay. We made a big effort to keep him but it wasn't possible in the end.

"It overlapped to be honest. I had a loyalty to Jenson but when that started to look difficult I started talking to Michael, and things developed from there.

"Michael and I kept very close over the years and I saw from his disappointment over the summer, when he couldn't drive a Ferrari, how much passion he still has for the sport. We're incredibly excited now about the prospect of Michael being part of the team."

Source: autosport.com

Lewis Hamilton

"It's great to have Michael back in Formula 1. He is a legend and a really nice guy, and I am happy for him that he has once again got an opportunity to do the best job in the world - race in Formula 1.

"I used to watch Michael race when I was in the junior categories, and I always hoped that I would be in Formula 1 while he was still around. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the track and back at the top.

"It's brilliant news, and I wish him my absolute best wishes on his comeback with such a fine team and company as Mercedes Benz."

bbc.co.uk/f1

Nico Rosberg

"It is fantastic Michael is returning to Formula 1 and will be my team-mate. It's a great challenge for me to be up against one of the best drivers of all time.

"I'm sure we will form a very strong partnership as he will have lost none of his speed. It is also great news for our sport and the fans."

bbc.co.uk/f1

Norbert Haug

"Michael has more of everything than every other driver. Our sporting ambition has always been that Michael should drive again where his professional career had started, and Michael knew that.

"We often joked about it after the races and discussed the prospect seriously several times during the last 14 years in Formula 1.

"It didn't happen in 1995, it didn't happen in 1998 and it didn't happen in 2005. I am delighted that it will now happen in 2010. I am very much looking forward to working with Michael.

"Everybody at Mercedes-Benz and Daimler extends a very warm welcome to our 'apprentice' of 19 years ago. That apprentice is now the most successful racing driver of all time."

bbc.co.uk/f1

Martin Whitmarsh

"I think I share the sentiment of every single Formula 1 fan across the world by saying that Michael Schumacher's return to the sport is fantastically exciting - and a thrilling prospect for the 2010 season.

"I've no doubt that Michael has studiously examined this opportunity from every possible angle, and that he's convinced he still possesses the same fearsome drive and determination required to succeed in Formula 1.

"Obviously, Michael is a seven-time champion and has absolutely nothing left to prove - so it will be fascinating to see what he can achieve in a new team.

"To Michael, Norbert [Haug, vice-president of Mercedes-Benz Motorsports], Ross, Nick, and everyone at Mercedes GP, we offer our warmest regards and congratulations and, most importantly, we look forward to some terrific racing in 2010."

bbc.co.uk/f1

Johnny Herbert

"The fitness side is very, very important, but the way Michael keeps himself in shape - he brought the physical aspects of F1 up a couple of notches - it isn't going to be an issue.

"I don't know of anyone that has gone out of F1 and come back and actually achieved something by coming back. Alain Prost wasn't the same when he came back but because of Michael's mentality it is different."

bbc.co.uk/f1

Eddie Irvine

"The speed will be there, though he won't be as fast as he was seven years ago.

"He's not at the peak of his game, but he's still good enough to win races as he has such an immense talent. It's still four wheels, a steering wheel and an engine and there's never been anyone better than Michael."

bbc.co.uk/f1

Image source: telegraph.co.uk

Current date/time is 9th May 2024, 13:45