Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mat Jackson will race an RML Chevrolet at Thruxton, yet it is unknown how many races after that

Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Mat Jackson will race an RML Chevrolet at Thruxton, yet it is unknown how many races after that Empty Mat Jackson will race an RML Chevrolet at Thruxton, yet it is unknown how many races after that

Post by Ross 22nd April 2009, 16:11

Jackson to return to BTCC with RML

Mat Jackson will race an RML Chevrolet at Thruxton, yet it is unknown how many races after that Lg_4210_3430
    Back again: 2009 runner-up has will race for the team Plato did last weekend, but has not given post-Thruxton plans

Mat Jackson will return to the British Touring Car Championship at Thruxton this weekend after signing a deal to race an RML-run Chevrolet Lacetti.

Jackson, who won five times on his way to second place in last year's championship in a BMW run by his family Jackson MSport team, will drive a Lacetti as Jason Plato did in the season opener at Brands Hatch.

"Firstly, RML is one of the very best teams on the grid - its history and results show that," said Jackson. "Furthermore, it runs Chevrolet's cars in World Touring Cars so it knows the Lacetti inside out.

"Hopefully, this is the start of a new and very positive chapter in my career. It's the chance to move on from a very well run but nevertheless quite small team to a bigger entity.

"On top of that, there's the potential to compare myself against someone of Jason's calibre in identical machinery. This is why I am here - to race against the best drivers and improve my own performance. It's going to be tough to jump straight in and instantly get big results - I'll be going to Thruxton with just a quick shakedown in the car."

RML team boss Ray Mallock, who masterminded BTCC titles for Vauxhall's John Cleland in 1995 and Nissan's Laurent Aiello in 1999, said: "I'm delighted to welcome Mat to the team and to confirm that we will be appearing at the next event.

"I know I speak for everyone at the factory when I say we cannot wait to see Mat in the car.

"He really proved his enviable abilities last year - 10 podiums and a second place finish in the championship standings, competing against some far more experienced drivers just shows Mat really deserves to be on the grid in 2009.

"Combine this with the Lacetti favouring the high speed straights of Thruxton and it should prove to be an exciting pairing."

Plato, meanwhile, is yet to confirm whether he will be racing at Thruxton.

Source: autosport.com, btcc.net (image)

Current date/time is 14th May 2024, 08:49