Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fernando Alonso tops times at Jerez beating BrawnGP - but only by 0.05secs

Ross
    Ross
    Director of Operations

Number of posts : 794
    Favourite motorsport : Formula 1, BTCC, MotoGP

Male

Fernando Alonso tops times at Jerez beating BrawnGP - but only by 0.05secs Empty Fernando Alonso tops times at Jerez beating BrawnGP - but only by 0.05secs

Post by Ross 16th March 2009, 10:57

Alonso knocks BrawnGP from the top

Fernando Alonso tops times at Jerez beating BrawnGP - but only by 0.05secs 52613_2

Renault's Fernando Alonso managed to knock the increasingly-quick BrawnGP team from the top of the timesheets during day two of F1's final pre-season test a Jerez. The Spaniard clocked a 1m18.343s during the final stages of the day's testing when the track was at it's best - just 0.05 seconds quicker than that of Rubens Barrichello completing his final pre-season test day.

"I'm happy with the day as we did more than a 100 laps which was our target for my final day of winter testing," Alonso told Autosport. "This has been the first time we have run on a really hot track and the information we have from today will be very useful for the first few races, which are usually very hot.

"I'm also a bit sad that this is the final test of the year with my test team, but I will see them at the factory soon. I have to say thanks for the amazing job they have done this winter because we are really well prepared for the new season. We can go to Australia knowing that we have maximised the time we had available."

Over at BrawnGP, Jenson Button took over from Barrichello later in the day, clocking just twelve laps before his car stopped out on track. However the Briton still managed to go third on the timesheets, over half a second quicker than McLaren's Lewis Hamilton on a 1m18.892. After four consecutive days grabbing headlines at the top of the times at Barcelona and Jerez, and finishing second and third by small margins today, the team should be content and looking strong for the first race in two weeks' time.

McLaren return to testing action having arrived at the Spanish circuit a day later than the other three teams, and will wrap up their test on Thursday, a day later than everyone else. Hamilton clocked a best time of 1m19.513, over a second slower than Fernando Alonso, evidence that perhaps the reigning world champion's team is still struggling for pace.

Nico Rosberg managed a 1m19.783, putting his Williams at the bottom of the day's timesheets, but he managed to complete 123 laps, the equivalent of two race distances.

More to follow...

Testing times from day two at Jerez, Spain:

1. ALONSO Renault 1:18.343
    2. BARRICHELLO BrawnGP 1:18.398
    3. BUTTON BrawnGP 1:18.892
    4. HAMILTON McLaren 1:19.513
    5. ROSBERG Williams 1:19.783

Report by Ross

Current date/time is 13th May 2024, 16:17