Turn Two Motorsport Hub

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baguette expects Sauber drive, Decision next week

Mike
    Mike
    Site Development Manager

Number of posts : 302

Male

Baguette expects Sauber drive, Decision next week Empty Baguette expects Sauber drive, Decision next week

Post by Mike 18th December 2009, 06:59

Baguette '96 percent sure' of Sauber drive

Baguette expects Sauber drive, Decision next week AU476693

Belgium's Bertrand Baguette, World Series by Renault Champion, is confident that he will be able to secure the second Sauber race seat alongside Kamui Kobayashi ahead of the 2010 season. Having tested for the Hinwil team in Spain earlier this month, the 23-year-old remains optimistic.

After driving 70 laps of the Jerez circuit in what was BMW's last appearance before bowing out of F1, Baguette is positive that he could be racing for the team, which is now back under full ownership of Peter Sauber, next year.

"It's 96 percent sure," Baguette told Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad. "The decision will come next week."

Bertrand added that he should not be ruled out of a race role just because the squad has already confirmed one rookie driver. "The fact that Kobayashi has signed for Sauber doesn't mean that I can't do the same," he stressed. "There is still a second seat available and, if I fail to achieve that, I'm almost sure of being the third driver."

However, in the event of Baguette being confirmed as a race driver at Sauber, a number of questions marks would be raised as Nick Heidfeld - a likely candidate for a drive at either Sauber or Mercedes - would then be left without a confirmed seat, possibly raising doubts over whether 7-time World Champion Michael Schumacher will be returning to the sport with the team formerly known as Brawn.

Crash.net
    GPupdate

Current date/time is 14th May 2024, 22:06